July 29, 2020
SAFC is home again, after all these months, hosting RHV in a rematch at Toyota Field.
There were no fans in the stands, though, so Clayton and Matt talk about the 1-0 win as well as the at-home viewing experience.
Free kicks: is baseball or soccer with no fans better on tv, and also Clayton’s newfound love of Minnesota United. Enjoy!
July 21, 2020
It’s been a long wait but SAFC is back!
Matt and Clayton discuss Friday night’s... oops, no... Sunday’s 1-1 tie at Rio Grande Valley.
New starters, new formation, new season format. And yet, the good guys end up losing a late lead on the road, settling for a tie.
Unfortunately, the recording paused around the 34:10 mark, so some of our thoughts about the new GK and water break will remain hidden from the public. The episode picks up back in time for free kicks.
Also, be on lookout for an invitation to our live Zoom for Saturday night’s home game. Enjoy!
July 16, 2020
In a special welcome back to USL play podcast, Matt and Clayton talk to SAFC Assistant Coach Lee Williams!
We ask about:
-A day in the life of the team during Covid
-How is the restart working
-Lee’s path to becoming an SAFC coach
-The SAFC academy program and youth development
-Comparing SAFC to Lee’s native Swansea club
-What goes into creating a club culture
-And, of course, ALL of your listener questions (even yours, Henry).
Unfortunately, the Zoom abruptly crashed and the Free Kicks were not recorded, so:
- Lee’s been watching Wycombe Wanderes in the English promotion playoff
- Clayton saw fans in the stands in USL’s Louisville game
- Matthew says Atalanta is appointment tv.
July 7, 2020
Matt and Clayton talk about the impending return of USL soccer! This Friday night, El Paso will host fans for their home game... oops, no, scratch that. Sunday night Louisville does!
We discuss the groups, schedule, as protocols as well as listener questions related to the restart. Fingers crossed, SAFC will kick off July 17th. As always, free kicks.
June 23, 2020
Clayton and Matt are back to talk about what we’ve seen in the European return to soccer. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down to fake crowd noise? Fake Fans? Water
Breaks in the Euro heat?
The real reason for all of this: What can SAFC learn from the European Soccer ‘Rona Soccer Seasons?
As always, free kicks. Enjoy!
June 2, 2020
We talk about the return of the Bundesliga: What have we liked or not liked about post-pandemic soccer.
Also, the Premier League and American sports are making plans to come back. What should the MLS, the USL, and of course, SAFC do?
May 18, 2020
Matt and Clayton call up Michael of the “Wise Men Say” podcast in Sunderland, England to talk about the other SAFC, Sunderland AFC. We talk about the Netflix series “Sunderland Til I Die” and second division soccer on both sides of the pond.
We discuss topics like:
- Was the Netflix series a fair or accurate depiction of the club, city, and fans?
- How does Michael feel about the American players who have played at Sunderland?
- Who would win an SAFC Derby Match?
- Compare the two teams, leagues, and fans.
- Michael’s surprising love of MLS soccer.
- How should soccer in England resume play?
Thanks to Michael for his time. Check out the Netflix special and the Wise Men Say podcast which has episode by episode recaps comparing the doc to reality on the ground.
Dreaming of meeting up for a pre-game pint in Sunderland once this all passes!
May 13, 2020
We answer five listener questions:
1. What are some recent rule changes that improve the game, going back 30 years? - Dave S.
2. A “SAFC 2030" look into the future? Can be as optimistic or pessimistic as you'd like. - Andrew C.
3. Is Die Hard a Christmas movie? -Justin B.
4. Bundesliga will start this Saturday. Give an introduction of players and teams to your listeners that will start watching it since no other main league is playing. -Tobias K.
5. If you could only play soccer or watch soccer for the rest of your life (only one or the other), which would you choose? - Matthew S.
April 30, 2020
Clayton and Shaddock re-live the best goals they’ve ever seen, live and in person. From high school bicycle kicks to World Cup in Russia, Messi in Houston to World Cup in Dallas, we go near and far in our memory books. Even as close to home as a Scorpion kick by a San Antonio Scorpion.
Listeners chimed in with their personal stories, from a 13 year old in the Rose Bowl to a 70 year old in Moscow. Enjoy!
April 21, 2020
Shaddock and Clayton Draft our epic Qatar 2022 teams, complete with managers and a bench.
Respond with your pick of who would win the game. Each reader pick is a goal for Clayton or Shaddock. Who will win?
Mbappe - Lewandawski - Sancho
Pogba - Casamieo
Andy R-Van Dyck-Koulibaly-Kimmich
Bench: Bonucci, Veratti, David Neres
S. Mane - Kane - Messi
K De Bruyne
Thiago A. - Kante
A.Davies- S Ramos - Verane - T.A.A.
Bench: Harland, Pulisic, Alaba